Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sensamaya'

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on July 02, 2002 at 22:48:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sensamaya' posted by Mike on July 02, 2002 at 22:19:19:

I have two issues with this thread. Sensemaya is one of only three major works I can think of right now where the tuba gets the first statement of the principal theme (the other two - the Finale of Mahler 6th, and Acts I and II of Siegfried.) So often as soloists we must turn to transcriptions and arrangements, but Sensemaya is one of our great originals. So why do string quartets and cellists with their vast reserve of original repertoire need to be trolling in our waters?

On the other hand, the Kronos makes an persuasive case for their version, and the cellist is excellent. I'd be curious to hear what Ma, Starker, Schiff, would make of it. I wish it were possible to have heard the late Frank Miller have a go at it. In 1960 or so, I got to hear Arnold Jacobs play it Ravinia under Eleazer de Carvalho (himself a tuba player before he emerged as a conductor). Unfortunately not taped by anyone. But Mr. Jacobs used to say, "Don't just listen to tuba players, listen to fine violinists, oboists, singers, trumpet players, and cellists." This implied his understanding that you were not just listening to them, but you were in a sense listening to all the great artists THEY had listened to as well.

Follow Ups: