Lahti - customs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on July 28, 2001 at 20:02:20:

To John R. and to the board:

Finally came around my PO box Saturday. There was an answer from the Danish custom authorities, which also act as EU authorities, if one enters the EU through Denmark.

I have scanned the letter into a JPEG format file and sent it directly to John. The core text translates to something like this:

"24. juli 2001
Journal nr. 15/01-219-00588

Concerning personal travel luggage:

As answer on your mail of July the 22nd 2001, you can be informed, that in this specific situation by the entrance to the EU customs area there will be granted a freedom for customs and duties concerning the musical instrument, as the tuba is considered as travel equipment and hence is compassed by the rules about personal travel luggage.

The rules about freedom of customs for personal travel luggage from non-EU-countries can be found in article 45-49 in the Councils ruling # 918/83.

Hence no declaration is necessary. Furthermore no deposit will be necessary regarding import of the tuba."

This translation is clumsy as I am not into English law lingo. The answer is specific in relation to my forwarding of John’s original mail to me (same as his posting on the board), which I have relayed to John so that he can print it and keep it together with a print of the scan of the customs letter.

For others of you that might have the same concerns as John the journal # quoted above might be of interest as a reference just in case of problems.

Finnish is not normally understood by Danes and Swedes, but as the Finnish administration is mostly bilingual, the Danish text sent to John will be understood in all of the 3 countries, where he plans to bring his tuba.

Klaus

Follow Ups: