Re: YBB 641, CC vs. BBb, and Other Delights

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Landry on July 19, 2001 at 09:26:09:

In Reply to: YBB 641, CC vs. BBb, and Other Delights posted by From Parts Unknown on July 16, 2001 at 13:49:39:

Unknown:

With regards to the 641, I have to agree - it's a very nice instrument. The "problems" with it depend on who you ask. I teach at a university that owns two of these (in BBb), and so far have had nothing but positive comments from the students. From my own perspective, the only things I've noticed are:

1. Great 5th partial (B,C,C#/Db,D) - you can even use the normal fingerings!
2. One wolf note - top space G in the staff - even the Yamaha reps will tell you it's sharp.
3. Stock springs - too flimsy and allows too much end play on the return side of the valve stroke. If any Grand Rapids guys are reading this post, PLEASE MAKE THE SPRINGS STRONGER. They don't have to be gorilla tight, but a couple of more cranks would improve the valve action tremendously.
4. As for rotors, I haven't had too many problems. Every once in a while, one would get a bit sluggish during the "break-in" phase. We'd take it apart, clean the trash out, and put it back together, and it would work fine. It's one of the few rotary valve horns that you can actually use on an outdoor summer gig.
5. Sturdy construction - good bracing and brace design. I've only had one brace come off due to a solder pop, and our horns are 4 years old have been to France and back on school gigs. AND NOTHING RATTLES OR BUZZES!

BBb/CC - depends on your situation. If you can play the horn and give the conductor and the section what they want, fine. Some things lie well BBb, some on CC. Apples and oranges.

Later,

Scott Landry

Follow Ups: