YBB 641, CC vs. BBb, and Other Delights

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by From Parts Unknown on July 16, 2001 at 13:49:39:

I've only recently found this forum, but I've taken great pleasure in searching some stirring debates from the past. As a player in access of 25 years, I'm on my second Yamaha YBB 641. The first one was purchased in 1979, and the one that I currently use was purchased seven years ago. Other than having to use 3rd valve instead of 1st & 2nd on a few notes, I find the horn to have steady pitch and excellent tone (not to mention a MASSIVE sound). I admittedly have only played three YBB 641's in my life, but they all played very well. Many of you seem to have a hatred of the YBB 641, so I'd be curious to hear about the bad (and good) points of the instrument. My other question concerns the various discussions of CC vs. BBb. When did some players decide that a BBb tuba was inferior to a CC? There are some very fine CC tubas out there, but I don't see anything wrong with a BBb. I find that a good player sounds good on either, and a bad player sounds bad on either. Any thoughts? Thanks for the opportunity to share ideas! FPU

Follow Ups: