Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should I use CC for Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ERIC OLIVER on July 16, 2001 at 20:53:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should I use CC for Band? posted by Tracy H. on July 16, 2001 at 17:18:21:

My I remind all of you that music teachers are TEACHERS. They have more than one role. While their obvious goal is to teach music and to bring attention to their school through music and to provide entertainment, they are also charged with bettering the lives of the students over which they have been given "control." Their "job" is to make the members of the band better members of society! As I high school band director, one has to know and understand that not everyone wants to pursue music as a career, and that is a healthy thing.
Occasionally there is a conflict of job roles. While on the one hand the director should let the student play the CC horn for his musical betterment, he cannot allow that student to be treated differently. When this student enters the "real" world, no one is going to allow him time to get his feet wet, and we all know this. I myself go to high school at a small North Texas town, and I jsut bought a Hirsbrunner HB-21. My director requested that I not play it last semester to allow me time to learn the fingereings well, I was not happy about this, but I did it. Then, this summer I took it to camp and played like crazy. I know full well that on Aug. 1 (when it is 116 degrees) I will walk out to the marching field and play a klunker sousaphone (unless I take a blowtorch and take about 7 inches off!! lol). I understand that my director is trying to fill two roles. However, I have to thorw my ego away and realize that the "job" of producing productive members of society is perhaps more important than one smeester of pure CC practice for me, I can still practice as much as I want outside class. However, conyinuing, he also asked me not to do my TMEA, ATSSB etc.. tryouts on the CC tuba and I refused, in those cases it is my horn, my practice time, and my perrogative. And I also plan to play my CC in concert band.

my thoughts.....that and 85 cnets will buy you a coke :)

eric oliver

Follow Ups: