Re: Re: Another Brasswind Diary

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tire kicker on July 15, 2001 at 10:11:19:

In Reply to: Re: Another Brasswind Diary posted by retail sympathiser on July 15, 2001 at 01:08:01:

Oh that tuba dealers were as accessible as car dealers!

But they're not, so we do what we have to. That is, drive or fly at (usually) great expense (esp. on/from the west coast) to someplace that has a large number of different tubas. So that means playing most of the ones available, and spittin' and fingerprintin' 'em. That's part of the cost of doing business as a tuba retailer. I don't know of a new car dealership that doesn't have a full-time detailer. Of course they can afford it due to the volume of business, but the analogy still applies: where they pay someone to do the detailing, the tuba retailer (usually) has to forgo some repair work while they detail the horn themselves. How long will a car dealer stay in business if he won't let cars out on a test drive for fear of a mud puddle? Or says "I'm sorry, but you forgot your deodorant today, so I don't want your stank in my new car." Probably not long. Ask a car salesman what their test-drive to final sale ratio is.

Cars are accessible, tubas are not. ANYONE can get financing for a car; it's much harder for a tuba. Most tubas cost more than both of my (used) cars put together. Until those things change (which I assume they won't), I will spit and fingerprint horns 'til the cows come home before I part with my hard-earned and long-saved dollars. If you don't want to detail horns after a test drive, don't allow test drives. But I suggest you not plan on selling any horns.

Follow Ups: