Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Brasswind Diary

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by t.k. on July 15, 2001 at 18:13:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Brasswind Diary posted by dp on July 15, 2001 at 14:55:03:

No lack of respect here for others property; in fact it was assumed from the first post on this that the instruments would be handled like newborns. I'm sure every retailer has horror stories about the one that slid off of the chair, or the guy that stopped in after a trip to KFC. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the buyer who is dead serious about buying a new horn, but needs to know how much to save (actually, what he has to give up) every month to make that a reality. Or maybe the bank wants an exact amount before they approve a loan. Either is a distinct possibility when dealing with several thousand-dollar purchases. The fact is, a horn will (usually) not be sold if it isn't tested first. And no matter how respectfully you handle it, there will be finger- and hand-prints to wipe off unless the tester and retailer both wear gloves ala Sotheby's. But if you hand me a clean cloth, I'll wipe it down myself if asked.

As far as being "taken," I am very aware of the reps of the various dealers thanks to this board mostly, and the easiest way to avoid being taken is to do business with dealers of good repute. I don't begrudge the purchase price of a new horn, and I don't think that anyone deserves some sort of special treatment because of a potential purchase. The horns ain't cheap for the dealers, and they have to mark them up for profit; it's how business works. I DO, however, reserve the right to not do business when I am told that play-testing is not welcome. It's part of doing the business of selling instruments, and bemoaning it won't change that. I know that there are "professional play-testers" out there, and that's where a lot of this feeling comes from. But to say that just because someone play-tests several horns and doesn't buy should place them in that dubious category is grossly unfair to those who ARE actually shopping in good faith. Even if they are just in the fact-finding stage.

What's the first thing that, as a list, we tell anyone asking what kind of horn to buy? All together, now - "Go play test as many horns as possible and buy the one that's right for you." How many will read this thread and now think that it's not kosher to try a horn you can't buy RIGHT NOW. Hopefully for the retailers, not many, because that's worse for business than wiping down a horn.

Follow Ups: