Re: Re: Re: Yet another change to The Tuba Sound

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark in Ohio on July 13, 2001 at 12:04:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Yet another change to The Tuba Sound posted by Carl on July 11, 2001 at 23:22:14:

I've seen this thing before. Any one experienced w/ its' real-world performance? Matt Walters et al?
The big question: Are major designers acually using this system in the development of their prototypes?

To point out a contrast, however, in the context of Rick's studies:
This system measures the impedance of the tube/cone to predict intonation & responsiveness of the whole instrument, and is less of a measure of the harmonics that will actually be produced when playing a single pitch.

Rick, however is measuring the Spectrum produced by playing individual pitches, or in perhaps better terms, an Objective measure of "tone quality". This is not directly linked to the overall intonation or responsiveness of the horn.

As an illustration, I have a 1915 York 4/4 BBb that is awaiting restoration. It truly "sounds like a York" when played, but responds so-so right now due to leaks & one very crushed small branch. The resulting intonation is also iffy (though not as bad as expected). I'll betcha it would conform to Rick's spectrum analysis, though, on those Bb's. The signature sound is in there!

Mark Mazak

Follow Ups: