Re: replacing "S" linkage

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sam Gnagey on July 13, 2001 at 08:28:03:

In Reply to: replacing "S" linkage posted by Jared on July 12, 2001 at 19:18:30:

Most hobby shops have all the supplies that you will need to do it yourself. I've had good success using the DU-BRO line of ball and sockets. They look flimsy, but I've had them in continuous service on a horn for 15 years without problems. You can use the continuously threaded rod cut to any length to connect things up. The results are a light and fast action will minimal wasted motion.
Take the linkage completely off the horn by removing the screws that secure each linkage to the top of the valve and slipping the long pivot rod out. Things will start to fly apart at this point, but don't worry. You will have to saw off the old linkage from the bar that drops down from each spatula; cutting the cylindrical bearing away from the bar with a hacksaw. Drill a hole matching the diameter of the post or screw from the ball to accept the new ball where you've cut the bearing off and attach it by means of the little nut that comes with it or better yet, just solder it on. Solder the new ball to each valve where you removed the old linkage. Cut the new threaded rod to the right lengths(a wire cutter works)and screw the new sockets on each end. Reassemble the spatulas onto the pivot rod and horn and snap the sockets on. Scariest part is sawing off those bearings. That's the point of no return. Write to me if you have questions or get into trouble. Proceed at your own risk.

Follow Ups: