Big Conn info

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham Smith on July 03, 2001 at 11:33:48:

My search for a "return to playing" tuba continues. I am in an email dialog with someone who has a large bore 4v BBb Conn with a recording bell to sell, uprigth valves. He does not know the model no. but says it looks like the pic of a 34J that I sent him from ebay's previous listings. I have asked him to look for a model no. on the bell collar, and hopefully that will be easy for him to find. He says the horn looks good because it was recently dipped and plays well. The serial no. is K28403, and from the serial no. lists I've seen that seems to place this in the 66-67 vintage. Is this a Texas horn?
I'm also wondering what it actually is, since I know the 34J is an old nomenclature that apparently was used on more than one horn, from what I recall from searching the previous postings here.
It's also occurred to me that it might be a 24J, since that would also be a large bore horn with 4 upright valves and a recording bell.
I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on this.
The seller is going to get me some photos and I'll post a link them some when I get them.
Thanks!
Graham

Follow Ups: