Re: Hey! All you Sousaphone experts!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike F on July 16, 2000 at 22:03:44:

In Reply to: Hey! All you Sousaphone experts!! posted by Kevin Eckelkamp on July 16, 2000 at 21:25:14:

Don't worry Kevin, you have not made a life-long mistake, even if you took Wright's mixed with Brasso and applied it with steel wool and buffed it with sandpaper. OK, I'm exaggerating, don't use steel wool. Or sandpaper. Or anything too abrasive, for that matter... (get it?)
If you are only polishing it once or twice a year, you don't have anything to worry about. It's your horn, do what you want. The "experts" are only telling you what they've learned, and their years of experience have taught them that of all the different products available, Brasso and Wrights are not their number one choices for shining up a tuba. Some of them don't even want a shiny horn in the first place! You do want one, and if I understand, you have polished it already. Good for you! Now carry an old t-shirt with you whenever you play it, and wipe off every fingerprint and spittle-spot every time you have two measures rest, and before you put the horn to bed at night, and you will continue to have a nice shiny Sousa. Maybe after a while, you'll learn to appreciate a little tarnish in the right places, or the protective patina that comes naturally to brass. Or maybe, if you like the horn enough, and save your money, you will get it replated and have a really shiny horn, and by then you will have decided for yourself which (Hagerty) silver polish (Hagerty) you prefer (Hagerty).
Good luck, and keep the questions coming!
Mike "I like shiny Sousas too, but it's a lot of work" Finn
p.s. Any chance oy ucould post a picture of yourself with the horn?

Follow Ups: