tuning slide stick... THE SEQUEL!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by steve dedman on July 01, 2000 at 18:56:25:

I'm also considering a tuning slide stick for my piggy, but I have a couple of qeustions.

First, I'm playing on a borrowed Helleberg. When my local store receives delivery, I'll have my own. The thing is, this loaner has the outside diameter of the shank turned down a little. When I switched to this mpc is when I really started to notice some intonation problems. The ones I had got worse, and a couple of new ones srprang up. Put another way, the horn is no longer is as good of tune with itself as it was with the PT-21 I was using. Now, I !REALLY! like the sound of the Helleberg. Will a "stock" Helleberg be better in tune? Or will the overall pitch of the horn just be lowered, since the stock mpc will not go as far into the leadpipe as this turned one? Would a Helleberg knock-off (with the same rim and characteristics) maybe be a better choice in this instance?

The other issue is this: if I do get a stick, it has to have some sort of quick release/connect mechanism. Allow me to explain. If you're not familiar with the main slide on a Cervany piggy, it's a vertical slide - pulls from the bottom - so that's not a problem. The problem is that the spit valve is in a very inefficient place. Instead of being located on the bow of the tuning slide, it is on the piece of straight tubing on the "exit" side of the slide. This means that the liquid doesn't funnel down to the hole properly. It works OK for a quick drain when necessary, but to really get the slide emptied, I have to do a pull-and-dump. So I need some way to quickly release and re-attatch any tuning slide stick. Any ideas on how to create or modify some sort of such a mechanism?

Learn me, o teached ones.

Follow Ups: