Re: Re: Re: 3/4 versus 4/4 or 6/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on July 06, 1999 at 19:38:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: 3/4 versus 4/4 or 6/4 posted by Dale on July 06, 1999 at 10:21:16:

Sounds great, but remember, it's a recording, and anything can be made to sound huge.

One of those (Bobo, Johnson, or Self) once mentioned that because he basically had a mike just for him pointing into his bell, tightness and clarity were much more important than SPL. All the final volume balancing would be done in the mixing room.

Sure, Jim Self was the 30-acre Mothership, but give me 40,000 watts and a wall of 20-inch speakers and I'll sound like that in real life. So too can anyone here, for that matter!

I love the sound of a big horn (I'm always happy when I hear a good solo contrabass tuba instead of a bass tuba), but if I ever got in the same situation, I might use a small one myself.

FWIW, I know a teacher who said that he never, ever listened to recordings -- even of his own ensembles -- because they never sound like the real thing, and the only way to really hear something right is to hear it in person.

That's true, but at the same time, that's the only method by which I can hear most players! :-)

Seeya,
Leland

Follow Ups: