Re: Re: Re: BBb versus CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on July 02, 1999 at 18:33:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: BBb versus CC posted by GaryS on July 02, 1999 at 09:18:16:

Here's my opinions and guesses: (not disputing Gary, but just adding on my own)

CC for string-friendly keys and BBb for band-friendly keys? Sure, but I might say that intonation would be just as important as fingering patterns. It's been said that, fingering-wise, all key signatures are equaly difficult when you get down to it, and the ones that are "easier" are just the ones you've played most. Intonation seems just as difficult to overcome, though. It takes a lot of work for a CC player to really fit into a BBb section, and vice versa. My vote is to use a BBb in band just because the usual keys make tuning easier. I can't say for sure about CC vs BBb in orchestra because I've never played tuba in one, and as long as jazz band meets the same night, I have no desire to do so.

My theory about the apparent higher cost of CC's is that people are willing to pay for it. There seems to be this aura about CC tubas that says, "Ooh, look, a serious instrument. Don't carry your coffee near it!" Call me disillusioned or whatever, but I don't feel that way. Others do, though -- it's surprising how many people say "Oh, a BBb," and "Oh a *CC*" so differently. I don't know about them, but I've played on great tubas and crap tubas in both keys.

Beyond that, if you find a tuba that you like so much that you don't care whether it's BBb or CC, then go for it. How it sounds, and whether that sound is useful to you, is of primary importance (as the BBS says!).

Seeya,
Leland

Follow Ups: