Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BBb versus CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland (hacking, intonation) on July 04, 1999 at 01:17:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: BBb versus CC posted by Chuck on July 03, 1999 at 10:22:27:

That's exactly my point...

Probably the hacking (I like that term!) is done when they want that kind of horn but want it in a key that they know. I can't expect the result to be guaranteed to play better than before. It's probably like customizing old cars, too -- but that would mean that there are fewer original specimens out there. It genuinely bugs me when I hear someone say, "That horn's great; I can't wait to cut it to CC." I remember somebody talking about a wonderful BBb Hirsbrunner that he found at school, and although it played better than anything he had, he wanted to hack it to CC. Blasphemy!

Intonation, at least what I think --
Every horn has its tendencies as we all know. Every harmonic series has its tendencies in the brass world, too. Brasses, especially valved brasses (trombones are always "pulling slides", effectively negating the idea of valve tendencies for them), always are easier to play in tune with each other if they're all in the same key. BBb tubas do gel more easily with Bb euphs, Bb trombones, Bb trumpets, and Bb/F Horns.

When you get to a certain talent level, along with lots of commitment and tiny egos, instrument problems are definitely corrected, and key is irrelevant. Until that point, key does matter.

Besides, after hearing about it from this BBS and various other areas, I now believe that A does not always equal 440 Hz, either.

Seeya,
Leland

Follow Ups: