Re: V&E Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on January 30, 2004 at 09:14:02:

In Reply to: V&E Tubas posted by Jay Bertolet on January 29, 2004 at 20:15:59:

I guess the wish for staying with the bassbone mouthpiece is more a matter of avoiding embouchure troubles than one of economy.

For a period I played my first brass bass, the Eb Conn 26K, through a bass trombone mouthpiece a bit smaller than a Schilke 60. The result was not comparable to the later use of much larger mouthpieces, but the set-up was well playable.

A tuba with the old Brit/Euro receiver, as suggested by another poster, would be a good idea. I would suggest one of the pre-1982 Eb models from Besson or B&H. The small 15" bell is more likely to match the intended mouthpiece, than the 19" bell will be.

If your colleague goes for a 3+1 Eb comper, he will get an instrument, which roughly covers the same working range as a large bassbone.

I have been short-changed in NC, so I would not recommend going there. And it hardly is a recommendation, that the V&E is considered a house-brand there.

A ruggedly looking old Eb 3+1 comper might even be cheaper than the V&E.

Your colleague should have no problem with having the 4th valve in the left hand. But he may run into the same problem, that I had, when I first added a 3+1 comping euph to my bassbone: I was so accustomed to thinking in tubelengths by lengthening the positions, when one or both valves were engaged, that I came out a semitone flat on the euph. I simply compensated by adding "compensating" fingerings. It took some getting accustomed to, that those little loops on the backside of the piston casings did that job for me.

Klaus

Follow Ups: