Re: Alexander technique vs.(?) Arnold Jacobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tabor on January 26, 2004 at 00:00:53:

In Reply to: Alexander technique vs.(?) Arnold Jacobs posted by Wes Krygsman on January 24, 2004 at 13:33:36:

This might not help, but here are a few of my observations as a trained classical singer...

The Alexander technique is one of a few popular methods to study the use of posture and balance. I think that most of the time, the Alexander technique can be used in conjunction with any teaching method(s), but your voice teacher may have a conflicting view (from A.J. teaching tuba students) when it comes to breath management or general use of air. This is primarily because singing uses less air than playing a tuba. Anything else of A.J. that I've every heard or read can be applied directly and is good advice for singing.

The appogio (to lean, as in the sensation that the abdominals make when activated to push air out of the lungs, with ribs kept wide by the external intercostals and the vicera acting as the antagonist against the relaxed diaphram) breathing method for singers has been around for hundreds of years and it works well for singing for many singers, however, I've found that I (personally) have had improvement (in the relaxation of swallowing muscles) in singing from listening to and trying some of the concepts that A.J. commonly used. (breathe to expand vs. expand to breathe) The major conceptual difference for me was to keep my throat open enough as to not emit an audible inhalation sound (for singing).

I was taught the latter, directly, by a voice teacher. It worked well for him, and he was a pro, but I found the relaxation of swallowing muscles much more difficult. One A.J. concept that I cannot use in singing is to "waste air". It works great on the tuba, but with my voice it can lead to an undesirable sound. I have to sing before playing the tuba, not the other way around. This may differ from person to person, depending on their existing use of air.

Sometimes the things your voice teacher will tell you may directly conflict with what any other teacher might tell you. This could be that the teacher doesn't know what they or talking about, or completely the opposite (they may be an expert). They may be reaching for a result and using a method or idiology which is idiomatic to their specific field. It always helped me to listen to my voice teacher in voice lessons and then think about the differences I encounter when I switched back to the tuba.

One recurring theme that I happen across from many different teachers, is that we should hear the sound we want before we make a sound. Being able to conceptualize the sound you want before you make it is a desirable goal for the voice or any musical instrument and perhaps the real key to the art of music. The bottom line really is the sound, but the Alexander technique for singing may improve that sound and your vocal endurance.

I hope that may have answered a question or two

Follow Ups: