Re: 983 vs 2141

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on January 25, 2004 at 17:02:02:

In Reply to: 983 vs 2141 posted by Matt G. on January 25, 2004 at 04:01:34:

As a former 983 owner, I would characterize this tuba as lacking a little in the "core" of the sound -- a bit more "fluffy". It has a nice, singing, lighter upper register. But this could also be stated that it does NOT have a consistent tone throughout its range. If you want the 983 to cover a euph part in a quartet, it will have too broad of a sound for this, however, and a 3/4 F would be a better choice. (i.e. don't expect the "lighter upper register" to be THAT light)

I found the low register resistance (due to the compensation tubing) objectionably stuffy for extend low range playing. A PT-72 helped the notes pop out noticeably better for me. If you expect to have to cover a lot of low register literature, it will cause extra work. If you already have a decent contrabass horn, then no worries -- just use that.

I tried the 2141 before buying the Besson, and would have bought it (several years ago) if the intonation hadn't been particularly poor. I don't remember the playing characteristics, however. Either horn would be ideal for quintet, IMO.

HTH,

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: