Re: Re: Re: Re: Please let me know abou John Fletcher.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indeed on January 09, 2004 at 11:16:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Please let me know abou John Fletcher. posted by richard on January 08, 2004 at 19:24:03:

I went and checked in the Fletch book 'A Celebration' and the quote comes from Andre Previn. Sorry I got the Symphony wrong...

Previn says:

"It is safe conjecture that if John Fletcher's chosen instrument had been a Violin, a Cello, or a Piano, he would have been world famous. He was such a consumate musician and such an amazing technician that only the fact that the Tuba is considered a slightly risible instrument limited his recognition by a larger public. When he (Fletch) was very young, one of his favourite pieces was Haydn's 'London' Symphony and John took it as a personal challenge to learn every instrument employed in the work well enough to be able to play each part. I remember when he told me this, I gave him a disbelieving look, but he assured me that he thought it had been quite a good idea and that he could still do it."

Amazing.

Is Haydn 101 the 'London'??

In the same book, Hornist Ifor James tell how he was practising the Strauss 2nd Horn Conc and finding it difficult. Whilst practising he hears Fletch playing the piece perfectly AT PITCH on his Holton CC. Naturally James was both irritated and astonished!

Guys with the best stories must be any ex-PJBE members (Gary Howarth?) and Patrick Harrild I'd guess...

Like I said, Genius. Period.
MP

Follow Ups: