Re: What REALLY happened in Boston

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dp on January 29, 2003 at 13:29:14:

In Reply to: What REALLY happened in Boston posted by Douglas Yeo on January 28, 2003 at 23:24:00:

I think it may be important for folks to put the Tubenet BBS into a proper perspective for themselves, as well as for the public.
Recalling that the acronym "B.B.S." is typically an abbreviation for "Bulletin Board Service", its funny that folks stay on a salt-free diet when considering the depth, value, weight, or even need for what is posted on a BBS like this one.

Trying to explain, let me point to literal bulletin boards with which we all may be familiar with, the various bulletin boards found on campuses, bulletin boards in places like a laundromat, and/or bulletin boards in the bathroom of a nightclub or dancehall. With these examples in mind, I think it is pretty easy to keep a fair notion of what the concept of a BBS is (unfortunately) all about.

Were Tubenet moderated by its owner, this BBS could be more like the bulletin boards at many college campuses; postings have to be pre-approved before they go up, usually by some student services or "central"-type office. Barring that, it is easy to see how our lowest-common-denominator-readers thoroughly affect the caliber of the site, in the same way that stuff we've all seen in laundromats or on bathroom walls usually is not perceived as having much truly redeeming social value.

What surprises me is that as tubists this board has become known as "the" place, despite the low caliber of pap thats allowed, the opportunity to anonymously post, and the arrogant attitude of "well we CAN still find out who you are!"
How many folks practice handwriting analysis of a bathroom wall scribble? More to the point, how many really care? This has been like an eye-opener for me, and personally I am a little disturbed that I'd spend a lot of time "just touching base" with this site.

That tubenet has become a place to even talk about (outside of the bathroom, so-to-speak)is surprising as well, given our content.

So what gives?! IS this really the best that can be mustered, and IS it the kind of site that tubists will allow others (like Mr. Yeo) to use as their "benchmark" for the typical thought of the typical tuba-playing person in the states? I don't think many of us have thought that way about it before (you know...introspectively)....and given all this I HOPE that the site owner hasn't considered such a casual but persistent indicator of "who we is."

in all seriousness,

Dale Phelps
Los Gatos California USA

Follow Ups: