Re: No Dents, Scratches, or Dings?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 26, 2003 at 09:43:21:

In Reply to: No Dents, Scratches, or Dings? posted by Marty Neilan on January 25, 2003 at 23:57:46:

The only horn I own that doesn't have any scratch or ding on it is my cimbasso, which I've only had for just under a year. All the rest of my horns have some damage but none of them are damaged in a way that affects how the horn plays.

Ah, that discussion again. This topic was brought up a few days ago and I didn't post in the thread. I'll do it here. The way that I know that horns don't have damage that affects the playing of a horn is because I've owned the horn since it wasn't damaged at all. I can compare first-hand how the horn played before the damage and how it plays after. Just in case you're wondering.

I have a possible explanation on how some horns used by pros would be in perfect condition. I know some pros who actually buy two horns of a given model. They keep one at home to practice on and they leave the other at symphony hall (usually in an airline travel trunk) for use there when they need it. It's a great system if you have that kind of cash. I don't. This approach would severly curtail the risks of damage to a horn because, most likely, damage is going to occur while transporting the horn to and from the gig.

Other than that, just using common sense is the best way to avoid damage to your horn. Always be aware of your surroundings. Never put your horn where it could fall over easily if bumped. I always keep the horn within easy reach just in case I need to catch it. Make sure you're extra careful during those times when damage can happen. Simple things like emptying the slides, removing the mouthpiece, putting the horn in the bag or case, and others are times when the horn can get damaged. I think the only way you learn these things is by experiencing them. The biggest thing I've learned is to not be impatient when the horn is in my possession. When I'm in a hurry, bad things happen. I've learned, the hard way, that I'm much more unhappy when I'm rushing and damage the horn. Now I remember that and I take my time, understanding that getting the horn squared away is far more important in the long run.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: