Re: Fixing up an old miraphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on January 17, 2003 at 08:17:16:

In Reply to: Fixing up an old miraphone posted by DC on January 16, 2003 at 11:43:53:

David,
I might be wrong, but your Mirafone may well be worth restoring in its original version, as your description tells me it is quite old. Is there a serial number on the bell? If it does not, and if there are not adjusting screws in the back caps, that instrument is pre-1960 vintage. I have just made a deal to trade for a detachable-bell 186 with the two bells, and plan to do a complete restoration of the instrument.
If the rotors on yours are leaking, they can be nickel-plated and re-fit, but it is not an inexpensive prospect. When properly restored, clockwork-style valve linkage will work quite well. In fact, Rudolf Meinl still offers that linkage as an option on any of his new rotary horns. Some of the best clockwork linkage had a knurled adjustment screw for each valve, and the player could adjust the spring tension on each valve without tools.
Your Mirafone could be fitted with a 5th valve. If you were to do so, I'd suggest considering a left-hand 5th, as that is how it would have most likely originally been equipped.
All this will cost a considerable amount of money. If you want a dependable daily player and are not interested in possible antique/historical value, have the horn checked out by a good local repairman, to see if the instrument is still solid enough to be used in daily playing, or if it would be in your best interest to find another instrument. If you go to a one-piece bell, I'm willing to purchase the left-over parts from the detachable set-up.

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: