Re: Der Traum des Oenghus(low reg. advice)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 10, 2003 at 14:39:40:

In Reply to: Der Traum des Oenghus(low reg. advice) posted by Mat on January 10, 2003 at 09:08:37:

The best study I know of for low range improvement is the "Low Etudes for Tuba" by Phil Snedecor. These studies are hard! Every time I feel my low range needs something extra, I spend a few days playing through these studies and things really improve.

For me, the key is to work on solid embouchure technique while playing in that register. It is all too easy to start moving your face around to get a better sound down there and then you suddenly have a different embouchure and an inconsistent sound. When you make the investment of playing in that register with the same embouchure you use all the time, and then spend time working on improving the sound with that embouchure, lots of great things start to happen. Just be sure to give yourself the time you need, this stuff doesn't come right away.

As far as how low can you go, the lowest note I ever played in an ensemble performance was the F, two octaves below the staff. I did this on the last chord of "Irish Tune from County Derry" at a New Sousa Band concert last year. It seemed to work pretty well, based on the reaction of those around me. Of course, the hard part is being able to hold a note that low long enough.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: