Re: Whisper Tone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam Peck on January 01, 2003 at 16:13:06:

In Reply to: Whisper Tone posted by Ross on January 01, 2003 at 14:16:11:

Ross, I know I have mentioned playing scales as quietly as possible on this board. I probably didn't use the term whisper tones. Every tubist should make them a regular part of their daily practice routine. It often amazes me how many musicians are not able to sustain a note at ppp levels and keep it focused and in tune. I've performed with otherwise talented tubists and other musicians who have detracted from a performance because of their inability to play softly. An orchestra, or any other group for that matter, can only play as softly as it's least accomplished member can play. We are often impressed by how much volume and power an orchestra can produce but we overlook how pianissimo they can play. Soft passages allow the loud ones to have more impact and contrast. When I perform Romeo and Juliet I play the held B toward the end as quietly as possible while still being heard. It would be difficult to keep that note full and steady for forty seconds without regular practice. I often use whisper tones in practicing by playing long tones and gradually decreasing the volume until the sound just fades away. One also could try to start a note so softly that you have difficulty hearing the entrance. This is an exhausting but important step in any practice routine. I would resist any urge to use whisper tones in a rehearsal. That time is for rehearsing...not practicing. Your teacher must be a good one if he/she gave you advice like that. I know I had an excellent one in Dave Unland.

Follow Ups: