Whisper Tone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ross on January 01, 2003 at 14:16:11:

It finally dawned on me that in past year or two that I have been reading in the BBS, no one has mentioned using a whisper tone. Years ago my music prof taught me about this technique with its advantages. I'm not sure how to describe it except to say that one is actually whispering the sounds for the notes by vibrating the lips so the sound is barely audible. One's embrochure has to be in pretty good shape to do this successfully. The advantage is that one can whisper the notes of a particular passage that one may be having trouble in a rehearsal without bothering anyone, while the group leader may be doing some housekeeping, thereby impressing on one's mind the sound and fingerings for this passage before the group makes another run at the piece being practiced. Sometimes this is better than waiting until one's own private practice to learn the music better. I have also heard flute players using this technique.
My question for all of you is: Have you used whisper tones for this or any other purpose? Also, are there any particular techniques you use to obtain a whisper tone?

Follow Ups: