Re: orchestra players in marching band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sigh... on January 30, 2002 at 16:17:54:

In Reply to: orchestra players in marching band posted by Tom on January 29, 2002 at 14:53:54:

Like many others, I think forcing orchestral types, or even serious wind instrument players to march is a bad thing, both for the players' muscial growth and their commitment to music. To my mind there is absolutely no musical benefit in marching band to a serious trumpet player, a tuba player or a flutist looking to orchestral performance. Indeed, marching band tends strongly to induce bad habits that have to be broken.

That said, the points made by many about what keeps them employed, and the visibility of their programs, are also valid.

I think that one solution that could meet both needs would be that adopted by the high school in Greenwich, Connecticut. Although everyone in the bands (not orchestra) has to be in the "marching band", they don't really march very much, and they don't play while marching.

The Athletic Department's main interest is in the musical noise and some spirit, they don't care whether there's a "show" at half-time or what have you, they want a band to spur on the team and entertain the fans.

The Greenwich band (dressed in khaki's and red rugby shirts) simply marches out onto the field in a concert formation at halftime and plays a some real music, along with the fight song. They play spirited stuff in the stands. The football coach and the athletic director are thrilled - they're getting what they want from the band, they're in the locker room at halftime anyway and couldn't care less about a halftime "show"! The band director is happy because he gets support from the athletic side and has a big band. The kids are at least not unhappy because, unlike other bands, they do not do marching competitions or have to work up a "show". It's pretty much a win-win arrangement.

Follow Ups: