Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: orchestra players in marching band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sighing softly this time.... on January 31, 2002 at 18:36:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: orchestra players in marching band posted by Fred on January 31, 2002 at 17:40:31:

Well, you did come across rather diffidently.....

I still respectfuly disagree with your about marching having value for a musician, unless one wishes to teach or play in the military. I marched plenty, in high school band and in a military college band. Unlike many, I didn't mind it terribly. In high school we wrote our own shows, picked the tunes, and generally had fun. Being at a military college, I alo got plenty of other marching, close order drill (even gasp! winning drill team competitions) and the like. I spent some years as an army officer. I know the rap about the value of close order drill in building discipline teamwork, I did it with professionals using skills honed over hundreds of years' collective experience and tradition. Builds character. Right. Builds "characters" in my view. If one wants that sort of an experience in a musical environment, join one of the many drum & bugle corps. That sort of thing works reasonably well on volunteers, not well at all on draftees. In my view, unwilling participants in marching band are the equivalent of draftees.

I daresay that the alleged discipline value has little to do with the reason directors have marching bands. As others point out, it helps them with their image with the school district, justifies a bigger budget, cranks up some of the parents, boosts their egos and image with other band directors, most of whom assidously avoided the military service they're subconsiously imitating.

But in 7 years of high school and college marching band, I can honestly say that it did nothing for my musicianship, other than giving me a deep respect for the Conn 20K sousaphone as a very good tuba (and at the time I had an Alex). The best professional wind players I know -- we're talking about players who actually make their livings withthe horns, not teaching or some gigs as ancillary income -- have all avoided marching at all costs.

Follow Ups: