Re: orchestra players in marching band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on January 30, 2002 at 10:51:38:

In Reply to: orchestra players in marching band posted by Tom on January 29, 2002 at 14:53:54:

Many of these opinions may have been posted below. I haven't had time to read them all, so if I have repeated some, I apologize.

Yes, it is a common practice to require students to participate in the band program events, such as marching band. What I am less familiar with is the practice of requireing orchestras to march. This must be a school where the student gets academic credit for the instrumental music program by being in band. I believe that some of the smaller St. Louis area schools are in this situation. As you have posted, orchestra practices during non-school time. This is an event that takes differing forms, such as jazz band being offered as an extra-curricular activity, but haveing to have band as a class to be in it.

In this situation, I believe in the requirement of making all students in the program march. It is the participation of all that makes the program work. I am also not in favor of making exceptions for one student over another based solely on the preface that he or she just doesn't want to do something. I would also suspect that the student was aware of the requirements of marching when she entered the program.

Why would I take my 1st violin player and make her a bad alto sax player? I wouldn't. I would however state that there are things valuable to her violin playing experience that can be learned by playing a wind instrument. This also goes for my 1st chair tuba player and offering the same experienc on a string instrument. (Both of my high school tuba players double on string bass).

I think there is a larger issue here. Is there a point where the needs of the band outweigh the needs of an individual? Yes, whe nthe individual thinks that they are above the set policies and proceedures that the band operates under. I don't need a primadana trumpet player who maybe the best player in the known universe, but will not support the group effort. These people sometimes end up being disruptive influences, and wreck programs as fast as anything else available.

For those of you who have the opportunity to move their children into a more condusive program, do so. I admire those who will take the time and effort to care for their children's needs. If you don't have that option, then do what you have to do in the program, and find an out-of-school performance venue for them. Lessons, youth and community orchestras, and other programs are there.

For those of you who have used this forum to bash marching band directors, let me be the first to tell you that there are too many of us that also hold professional playing jobs that you don't. Keep that in mind.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: