Re: Questions on CC Tubas/Solo Mpc. (long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 23, 2002 at 23:21:08:

In Reply to: Questions on CC Tubas/Solo Mpc. (long) posted by SkyviewTuba on January 23, 2002 at 23:08:41:

Please, do not buy a tuba without playing it first! This is a huge mistake and you must convince your parents of the truth of this. The last time I had a student in this situation, I suggested to her that she use any means she could to get to, in her case, a college audition. Parents are frequently unwilling (or unable) to pay for expensive plane tickets and hotel bills so why not take the bus? This is usually inexpensive, not very glamourous, and shows how much it means to you to get somewhere to try out instruments. Also, if they still don't want to allow it, the bus is generally inexpensive enough to pay for the tickets yourself. This REALLY shows how committed you are to finding the right match. Buying a tuba on people's recommendations, no matter how good intentioned, is like getting married because someone told you she was the right choice. How do you know before you get to know her? Don't make a potentially very costly and frustrating mistake!

As far as the mouthpiece thing, I'll take a page out of Fletch's book. Which mouthpiece should you use? Yours!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: