Re: Brass playing in the morning

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Herold on January 15, 2002 at 23:08:38:

In Reply to: Brass playing in the morning posted by Graham W. on January 15, 2002 at 15:20:03:

If I had never joined the Army, I'd be in the same boat as you and wondering what I could do. I wake up and exercise in the mornings... at least most mornings anyway. I don't do a tremendous amount, but for a time I did. Now, my body is accustomed to that activity in the morning. If I don't do it once or twice, I really feel no different... but if I stop for a few days or a week, my body lets me know. What the morning exercise does for me is helps my focus on office work, playing the horn, or whatever task ahead of me better. It really made a big difference for me.

So, I recommend one of three things.

1) Get into a practice routine where you practice every morning at the same time.
2) Get into a routine where you exercise in the morning before anything else.
3) Get into a routine where you (gulp) wake up earlier so your body is more alert when you hit that practice room.

Some people will say it is all in your head, but you know, it may not be. Each body is different and we all can't fit into the same mold. You might not be a natural morning person. It may be in your head and it may not be. The thing to do is to overcome it by getting into a routine that works for you.

Best of luck.

Follow Ups: