Brass playing in the morning

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham W. on January 15, 2002 at 15:20:03:

I have fit into school schedule a "practice period" if you will and most days I actually make an effort to play. However, I have noticed that for some reason I have a very difficult time playing to my ability level in the morning. My warmup does not seem to do much but the same warmup later that day during my regular band class works fine and I have no trouble playing. So instead of a practice period, this period is now my warmup period which I seem to only be able to play long tones and slurs to prepare myself for class later that day.

Is this a common problem for anyone else? I don't usually notice it at clinics like District Honor Band, All-state, etc. which is why is puzzles me. Is there any way to make my normal warmup more effective or anything? (Just so I don't get replies asking what my warmup consists of, it's long tones starting at F down to Bb and then Bb slurs. I'll usually do the long tones for about 5 or so minutes before moving on)

I asked a trumpet player who has the same "practice" period as me and he notes that he struggles with morning playing as well. (By morning, I mean 8:30 or so) He also said something about blood not flowing as well in the lips in the morning and not being waken up completely and incorrect breathing at this hour.

Thanks for all help,

Graham W.

Follow Ups: