Re: What BBb Piston Tuba to Buy?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on January 12, 2002 at 11:00:14:

In Reply to: What BBb Piston Tuba to Buy? posted by Chris Peffley on January 12, 2002 at 06:39:09:

I have played both the VMI/Schmidt 3301(and 3302) and the new King 2341 (the one with the fixed upright bell) and believe that they are the 2 best piston valve BBb tubas available today. I prefer the King slightly over the VMI because it has a more focused sound for me. Because of the larger bore of the 3301, 0.748" vs. 0.687", the valve stroke is longer and the spacing is wider in the valve cluster. I have relatively large hands so I have no problem with it, but you really need to try them yourself to see if you are comfortable.
Resale should be good on either of them, although the market for Kings seems to be slightly more consistent.

Another tuba that should be available shortly in your price range is the Miraphone 1291. This is a piston valve version of their 191, which is among the best rotary valve BBbs. I haven't tried them out and the prototypes seem to be getting mixed reviews, but I expect the final versions will be good players.

Follow Ups: