Re: Instrument stands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 11, 2002 at 12:21:54:

In Reply to: Instrument stands posted by N.Dwyer on January 11, 2002 at 11:17:46:

K&M has one that is generally available though it is expensive.

I have one that I bought years ago, but I think it is just as capable of damaging an instrument as standing it on its bell, depending on how tippy the instrument is. The arms on the sides tend to be grabby, and this is especially true if you have a rotary tuba with a leather or plastic arm guard. It can take three arms to place the tuba in the stand, and fold down one of the arms.

And, if whacked, the whole thing can still tip over, though it is indeed harder to do that tipping a small-belled tuba that is resting on its bell.

But for me, the most bothersome aspect is that it hurts my back. If I'm sitting in a chair, I must pick up the instrument with both hands, twist around to the side, hold the instrument out away from my body, and lower it down carefully, often with one arm so I can clear the interference from the side arms. When resting the tuba on the bell, it is tipped over using the left leg as a fulcrum, and the weight of the tuba is always centered on the body. I've had to work out a catch in my back a couple of times from the twisting of using the stand while seated.

Standing, it works fine, but that's a bit distracting during a performance, it seems to me.

If you don't like top-loader gig bags, you may not like K&M stands.

Rick "who uses it for a tippy Miraphone but not for stable tubas" Denney

Follow Ups: