Re: Re: Re: What size is it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nope on January 08, 2002 at 18:59:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: What size is it? posted by Richard C on January 08, 2002 at 17:50:33:

Long Answer: No. As far as that goes knowing the size doesn't neccesarily tell you all that much anyhow. Many horns sound bigger than they look, others smaller. It seems that lots of folks assume that bigger horns are louder but by that logic trumpets would be a lot easier to ignore. Some big horns have a brilliant sound and are very agile; others are small with a dark thuddy slow sound. When a G50 sounds big for its size there are no rules being broken because there are no rules to be broken.

On a related tangent/rant my repairman always has a comment about F tubas being easier to play when I bring my F tuba in. It rubs me the wrong way every time but I always bite my tongue. If that were true why do so many pros have difficulty adjusting to them and choose Eb instead? I known of great performances of the Carnival of Venice on a BBb Conn long stroke sousaphone.

Short answer: No, and even if there was an easy way to distinguish sizes it wouldn't tell you squat anyhow.

Follow Ups: