Re: Re: Forging my future with 20 lbs of brass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim K. on January 08, 2002 at 18:19:18:

In Reply to: Re: Forging my future with 20 lbs of brass posted by tubagoo on January 08, 2002 at 12:14:34:

I have to completely and utterly disagree with you on your final recommendation, that being to get the Ed degree only if you want to teach. I think it should be more of... Get the Ed degree if you like eating 3 times a day on a regular basis. If you don't want to teach, get the Ed degree anyways, as it will be a safety blanket for your future. Not everyone will get a playing gig right out of college, or during college. And I know someone who was a positively amazing Tuba player, who lived in the practice room for at least 6 hours a day, and was a complete monster on the tuba. He went to interview at Indiana University for a graduate degree in performance and Dan literally tore him a new one when he found out this guy had his degree in performance. He literally sat there and chewed on him for a good while and told him that he wasn't going to leave IU with two degrees in performance, as even the greatest players sometimes catch bad breaks or have something happen to where they don't make it as professional players. I have to agree, as even districts now are wanting teachers to have the Ed degree as a prerequsite to teaching in some cases. In most cases, the Ed degree won't take longer than the performance degree if you work your tail off, but that extra time in school will give you even MORE time to live in the practice room. Graduating sooner isn't going to get you a job faster... Well I've probably rambled on a bit much so I'll end it here. Just do NOT forget the Ed degree on account that it 'takes longer'. Know what your goals are and then achieve them by practicing, nothing else matters.

-Tim

Follow Ups: