Re: Should I buy a horn?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam Peck on January 29, 2001 at 00:57:06:

In Reply to: Should I buy a horn? posted by Torn by Horns on January 28, 2001 at 21:56:49:

Don't feel as if you need to make a decision right away. If the school Bbb tuba you are playing now does a good job, stick with it and keep developing your sound. There is no reason you can't visit some music stores or attend a conference and try out some CC tubas. You may or may not wish to major in music in two years and $3000-$8000 is a lot of money to invest in a tuba right now, considering you may not be using it a lot. Many freshmen tuba majors enter college playing a BBb horn or using a studio's CC tuba. By the way,there is nothing magical about a CC tuba other than the fact that it is about 2 ft. shorter than a BBb so professionals prefer them because they respond better. There is no reason you can't audition well for college on a BBb horn. If you are determined to purchase a CC tuba soon don't overlook used horns. There are lot of quality tubas out there that can be had for much less than a brand spanking new horn. Consider an all- around horn like a 3/4 or 4/4 CC, something that will fit the symphonic band, orchestra and student brass quintet. Hirsbrunner, Miraphone, Meinl Weston and Rudolf Meinl all make great horns....try as many as you can..don't be afraid to ask some college tubists if you can try out their axes. I am not trying to discourage you from buying a new horn now...if you are positive you will be attending college for a degree in music ed or performance then a nice CC tuba will help, but remember, school tubas tend to be a smaller bore size than professional instruments...getting used to the differences can take some players some time, as well as getting used to CC fingerings. I hope this helps a little. Adam Peck Binghamton Philharmonic

Follow Ups: