Re: Should I buy a horn?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on January 29, 2001 at 00:41:26:

In Reply to: Should I buy a horn? posted by Torn by Horns on January 28, 2001 at 21:56:49:

Buy one, by all means! Decent used horns will hold their value, so you can't go wrong there (5 valves makes for an easier sell later, but will run a bit more). Whether you keep the horn for decades, or sell in a couple of years, you will be happier owning your own ax. As for loosing any ground, I don't know about that. Sounds like you are doing fine now, but a long honeymoon with a new horn (new to you) can do wonders for your playing. Of course it's what happens after the honeymoon that will count in the long run. Go ahead, sell whatever you have to sell, beg, do what it takes and get that horn. Horns will NOT be any less costly in two or three years, in fact they will likely increase in cost and value. If you're still not convinced, do what Ben Franklin did. Make a list of all the pros and cons of purchasing a horn and see how it looks on paper. The only con I can think of is the money, but a $4000 investment for 4 years is less than $2.75 per day (smokers pay more than that!), and you still have the horn to use or sell (probably for more than you paid)!

Hope this helps.

Follow Ups: