Re: Re: Re: Tuba solos in the orchestra!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik on January 15, 2001 at 20:23:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tuba solos in the orchestra! posted by Richard on January 15, 2001 at 19:58:45:

Other issues on the "why not more solos," as I see them are: it's a relatively new instrument, so those who draw inspiration from Beethoven and Mozart don't here tuba. Also, I suspect that at least some composers (fewer today, but still . . .) question what a tuba is capable of. The human ear is not as descerning down in the "meat and potatoes" range of the tuba, so all but the best tuba player can sound (to an audience) a bit, uh, murky. Nonetheless, I suspect most of it has to do with overcoming the "inertia" of an instrument that was for the better part of 50 years confined to playing 5 and 1 on 1 and 2. Now maybe if the orchestra was all conical and the pic cornets (exist?) were called sopranino tubas, eb's were soprano tubas, bb were counteralto (that above alto, right?) tubas, eb tenor horns were alto tubas, euphs were tenor tubas, f/eb's were bass tubas, and bb/cc were contrabass tubas, then they wouldn't be afraid to write for tubas! Oh god, I've just created half a brass band!

Erik

Follow Ups: