Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone go to or know about ucf??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sage One on January 24, 2000 at 14:10:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone go to or know about ucf?? posted by That's foolish (again) on January 24, 2000 at 13:35:17:

"We can't always have what we want; we make our
priorities and do what we can with the rest."

Wish I'd said that.

We agree more than our first two posts would show. I fully respect your well-considered opinions, I merely disagree. If a music major is taking a course in chemistry, there is a lab fee that (largely) covers the cost of the chemicals and equipment. Furthermore, the chemicals stay in the lab, they don't go home with the student. That same class would almost certainly require him to buy his own lab coat, and possibly protective eyewear. My wife will soon be entering nursing school -- she will have to provide her own liability insurance before working with patients. Do you buy your books? There may be a campus or two (plus the state of CA) where they are provided, but in general they cost extra. As a taxpayer, I don't mind paying taxes that lead to productive wage-earning (and no, I'm not talking about just plain vocational ed; most jobs benefit from a broad education, but there is a difference between broad education and music, which for a non-pro/non-major IS -- where is that fire extinguisher...oh, here it is -- IS A HOBBY). I am also a strong believer in study of things in general and the arts in particular, and enthusiastically support taxpayer-funded programs for these things for children; but adults (like me and like PedalBb and like you) need to be responsible for doing these things for ourselves.

Although we disagree, you're getting pretty wise for a youngster. Hang in there, you'll make it! :)

P.S. Someone (I think you) mentioned rental of instruments from school; if it is rental, and if the rental is not greatly subsidized, that does not fall under the category of 'taking a free ride'. It is the subsidization and freebies at taxpayer expense that I have a problem with.

Follow Ups: