Re: good place to try out tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Swensen on January 20, 2000 at 15:16:22:

In Reply to: good place to try out tubas posted by Jo on January 19, 2000 at 18:02:16:

I feel compelled to post some cautionary advice. Perhaps because tubas cost about as much as used cars, a few dealers in tubas have behaved, at times, like the much-maligned used car salesman, so be prepared. (From all my dealings with them and, based upon all I have heard about them, Matt at Dillon's and Dave at Baltimore Brass are so reputable that this advice is probably unnecessary if you are dealing with them.)

If you pick out a tuba and have it shipped, to avoid paying local sales tax, be sure to note the serial number and model number on the contract or invoice, and check it when the tuba arrives.

If any repair work or modifications are required before shipping, make sure they are noted, in writing.

Even if a dealer has exclusive rights to a tuba model, there are other alternatives. An email, letter, or phone call to Bob Tucci in Germany or to Peter Hirsbrunner in Switzerland, enquiring about prices to pick up an instrument there, may surprise you, compared to prices in the U.S., plus you get to talk to the guy who designed the tuba. Airfares to Europe are extremely low, right now. Don't forget that an ATA trunk is required to get a tuba back, intact (unless you buy it a return ticket and put it next to you), you must pay duty, and you may also be required to pay state sales tax. Knowing what it would cost you to buy the tuba in Europe and get it home can't hurt your negotiations over price.

Follow Ups: