Re: Re: Re: Does Size Matter, Some Observations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 18, 2000 at 19:52:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Does Size Matter, Some Observations posted by Pete on January 18, 2000 at 17:26:49:

Actually, I didn't know he studied with Bill Rose. My information was that he grew up in western Michigan (there's that state again...), studied at the University of Michigan with Abe Torchinsky, and then won the job in Houston before moving on to the NYPO. He may have bought the horn from Bill while he was in Houston, isn't Bill still living in Texas? I also didn't know he monkeyed around with the Yorkbrunner but it doesn't surprise me that much. Just about everybody had a blow on those things when they first came out. I never saw those videos with Levine, I bet they were incredible as is most of what Warren does on the tuba. I always wondered what happened to that old Holton of his, the story floating around the University of Michigan was that horn really made the difference in his audition. If I remember the story correctly, he actually had the horn flown out to him for the finals because he had heard they might be looking for that kind of sound. In any event, Warren is such a great player I have a hard time imagining they wouldn't have hired him anyway.

Follow Ups: