Re: Two Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JK on January 13, 2000 at 18:14:52:

In Reply to: Two Questions posted by Rick on January 13, 2000 at 14:47:34:

The following works for a tuba and I think will work for a baritone. Try 2&4 for E nat. or 123, if 3 valved horn. Try 4 for A nat. or 1&3 on 3 valved horn. If this solves it, then whoever plays that horn relearns these fingerings, if sound is ok.

As to cutting, this is a last solution. Worse comes to worse see someone who understands the physics of the valve tube lengths in relation to each other and to the whole horn. You can mess with this yourself, but find some good advice first. Do not cut the 2nd valve until you are POSITIVE of its effects on 1&2 and 2&3 and 123. It is easy to cut a tube, but may be a major job putting it all back if you screw up. More likely, you would cut the main tuning slide to raise the 2nd and then other slides can be pulled to compensate.

Check into a different mouthpiece. This may solve your problem best. I think the narrower throat with a shallower bowl would be worth a try.

Do not cut anything without study for several weeks with a quality tuner. You need consistency here, as tuners are not always reliable for short term testing. Do not do anything by ear or comparison.

There is a Bach mouthpiece web site that gives dimensions and playing characteristics for each of their models. See what is there for baritone or trombone that might give what you need. If you can, borrow some mps. and experiment. My gut feeling is that this will solve the problem enough to make minor adjustment with the lip and slides. If this does no good, the main tuning slide can be cut, but with lots of advise and study first. This may also throw off relationships.

As to the BBb tuba's third valve, GOOD LUCK! Non-budget? I don't think so!

You might find someone on BBS who will buy this or swap it for a better baritone.

Hope all this helps.

Follow Ups: