Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: John Williams Concerto

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on January 08, 2000 at 20:08:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: John Williams Concerto posted by Barry Guerrero on January 08, 2000 at 18:52:23:

I have to go with Barry on this one. I think John Williams is a wonderful "cloner" of music. By that, I mean he can take any wonderful sound and make it work for him in the context of the movies(one of the truly moving Christmas Carols "Star of Bethlehem, from "Home Alone" is a prime example, sounds like Vaughn-Williams crossed with Orff and a dose of Poulenc). However, when he has to sustain a thought not directly involved with a "sound-bite" he falters as in the case of the Tuba Concerto. There are seconds of true brilliance followed by some rather tedious writing. I have a copy of the music and have worked through it, but can't say as I would ever put myself in public. I appreciate him making the effort, but trombone players got a Pulitzer Prize winner(Rouse Concerto) and we got movie music. May be time to hit up a Joan Tower or Chris Rouse to take us to the next level. As always, just me opinion, your results may vary with repeated use. Cheers.

Follow Ups: