Need help with first, multi-p. CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Help on January 05, 2000 at 01:48:21:

I'm soon to be obtaining my first CC (high-schooler coming from BBb) and I need some insight on some things about a few horns. I'd like to buy used of course for expense purposes, and five valves are required. I've got my mind on these models: The Miraphone 1290 (my top choice right now), and of course 186 (188's considered too); and in Cervenys the 601, and the 603 (the piggy model). These are some of my main questions:

Remember: This horn will be for the works: Symph. Band, small ensembles, and solo (maybe even orchestra eventually)

Are the 1290's and 601's too big for multi-purpose instruments (I do prefer big sound and horn over small any day, so I could handle some biggness)(and just to let you know where I'm going to attend college main horns tend to be big anyway, i.e. Willson CC, Rudy Meinl CC, Larger Hirsbrunners)

The Cerveny piggy appeals to me a lot, but I'll most likely have to buy it new b/c the fifth valve was just introduced (even though Cervenys are cheap, it still could possibly be too much) It seems like it would carry a bit of an unexpected punch for big groups, as well as gentleness.

On the other hand, it seems like a Miraphone 186 could be a little weak in a large group. Opinions on that? Oh, also I wanna know about the pistons on the 1290 specifically. It seems like coming from a big rotary manufacturer that they could possibly be a little on the lackluster side.

I think finally I might have unleashed my concerns. I'd appreciate any advice on the hoard of areas I just mentioned. Any little bit helps. (and I know it's my decision and it shouldn't be based on others's comments, so I don't want one of those) Also any leads to sellers of those models would be appreciated; if anything I can possibly get some info from them too.

Thanks

Follow Ups: