Re: Minidisc recorders

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 22, 2004 at 21:57:47:

In Reply to: Minidisc recorders posted by Greg on February 22, 2004 at 21:12:19:

First - you may want to wait for Sony's next generation. Due to be released in April, it features denser recording on current media, a new type of disc with even more capacity, PLUS digital out.

but, if you must buy now....here's my take.

Sony is concentrating on MD as a WalkMan listening device, with recording a nice plus.
Sharp is the brand of choice if your interest is in (portable) recording. As a prime example, the Sharp 480 that I bought recently has a usable VU meter and active record-level controls available during recording; I hear those with Sony's complaining that they have to wade through 3 levels of menus to change recording level, and must pause the recording to do that. (to be fair, there is a noticable "blip" when changing the recording level on the Sharp).

Alas, Sharp is hard to find in the USA. Google will find you some grey-market dealers. If you need a USA warrantee, you are probably out of luck.

I finally bought mine last December when I spotted it in combination with the TubeNet's favorite microphone (AT-822, one-point X-Y stereo, unbalanced). I recorded most of TUSABTEC with it and was generally pleased with my results. Mine came with a European power convertor (and a cheap, small (and very losable) attachment to make it USA power friendly. I have been looking for a "real-USA" power convertor, but can't quite match the specs.

If you are interested, I can point you at the dealer I used (please contact me by e-mail). I was satisfied with the transaction (but I went into it with eyes wide open and there are some aspects of it which might not appeal to everyone).

Follow Ups: