Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Increase lung capacity - How?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 22, 2004 at 18:38:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Increase lung capacity - How? posted by Crushed on February 22, 2004 at 17:29:47:

I'm not arguing against the gerneral merits of moderate exercise. 20-30 minutes of aerobig activity is moderate exercies. But it's not even enough to build a base for endurance athletics, even before training for a specific event.

But not everything works for everyone. Running in the morning has always been difficult for me. My body is depleted of calories, and I just can't run well on an empty tank. It makes me hate running. I still did it when I was training, though. By by the time I dealt with a warm-up, a cool-down, sweaty clothes, weather-related gear, and so on, that 30-minute run always seemed to take an hour. An extra hour in the morning means getting home an hour later, and that makes it still an hour later before other obligations are met and I can play the tuba.

Of course, I could not run for just 30 minutes. I didn't even start to feel good until I'd run four miles, and once I felt good I'd want to keep going, so a typical run would be an hour. When I was training for marathons, that would be my shortest run of the week.

I don't think fitness has much effect on hyperventilation. I'm not as fit as I was five years ago, but I'm a lot more fit than 20 years ago, and the breathing exercise that Mike Sanders taught me in 1985 hyperventilates me about as much now as then (I just tried it).

Again, no argument that being aerobically healthy is nothing but a good thing, however one achieves it.

Rick "who was always late on mornings when he ran" Denney

Follow Ups: