Re: Re: ?s on low budget tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on February 15, 2004 at 05:48:18:

In Reply to: Re: ?s on low budget tubas posted by Ken on February 15, 2004 at 02:27:47:

The fourth valve is essential, if you want to act as a serious foundation-provider in ensembles and quintets.

You can do with a 3 valve tuba, if you are a virtuous slide juggler and/or have an immensely strong embouchure. The sole exception from this will be a 3 valve compensating tuba, from time to time they are common on a certain on-line auction. Very often they come with a front bell. They (almost) always come with a narrow leadpipe/receiver set-up, which limits your choice of mouthpiece. I find these British B&H or Besson instruments a bit limiting, when I want to expand soundwise. Others consider them reliable and very playable, which is true if you are not out after jerical effects.

With 4 valves you can play with a reliable intonation on the very important low C and F. And the B and E naturals will be way better than on 3 valve instruments.

If you have the choice between a new 3 valve tuba and a decent used 4 valve of similar sizes and prices, then my advise by default will be: take the one with the 4 valves. And learn how to use it.

This advise also goes for myself: I have two used 4 piston BBb basses. The one looks like a wreck on the backside, and I was mad like hell, when I got it from across the pond. But it proved itself a very good player despite the looks. And the point is, that both of these BBb's were well within your price frame.

If you buy without testing from the two names given by Scott within this thread, then you should have every chance to come out with a very workable solution.

As for brands: Personally I am not into rotary tubas for my own playing, but I know enough about them to realise, that for your needs the German made instruments will come out better than the Czech ones. The latters are too lightly built. The F. Schmidt's and VMI's come from the same house, which also makes the B&S instruments. The Miraphones are considered to be very reliable middle-of-the road instruments also in reasonable second hand deals.

More oriental discount instruments have been reported to work well for expert buyers, but I would stay away from them, if I were not offered the opportunities for thorough testing also in real music situations. I would never buy them untested.

Klaus

Follow Ups: