Re: Re: Low register dynamics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Experiment Time on February 13, 2004 at 10:19:21:

In Reply to: Re: Low register dynamics posted by long tones... on February 12, 2004 at 18:37:37:

First let me preface this that I am an amateur player - but an avid student.

Try this experiment:
Hold your palm in front of your mouth (6"). Open wide and take in a good lung (lungs) full of air. Now quickly blow it all out. Note the pressure against the palm of your hand. Now try the same things but with your lip closed (not tight). Try to keep the duration of the exhalation the same as with the mouth open (it took me a couple times to get the right duration). You should have noticed more pressure with you lips closed. More pressure equals faster air. Now, you tell me which way would sound louder and better - Remember I'm only an amateur.

I actually have a hard time visualizing "faster" air. I seems to me that it doesn't just mean blow harder, there is more to it than that. Not everyone will understand a given explanation using one description with one set of terms. One has to find what terms/analogies make sense to each person. Just because a person may think of something in different terms than most people, it doesn’t mean they are wrong. A willingness to try different explanations is what makes a truly good teacher. My wife had a professor, who, when asked a question would simply repeat verbatim what he had just said.

Like I said I’m only an amateur. I’m still trying to figure out (with instruction) what works for me.

Philip " looking for another analogy for faster" Jensen

Follow Ups: