Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Flogging a dead horse...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 03, 2003 at 17:23:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Flogging a dead horse... posted by SHS Tubamaster on February 03, 2003 at 17:06:53:

Based on highly limited tooting around on a 5/4 Rudy BBb many years ago, I would answer your questions thusly...

1. Yes, if you have the air. I didn't at the time. The Rudy is a big-bore tuba and it works best with lots of the free stuff.

2. Absolutely. The Rudy is one of the most colorful sounding of rotary kaiser tubas. But it doesn't have the same sound characteristics as an American-style tuba, so if that's the sound concept you want, look for the horn that will produce it.

3. If you can make good sounds on it at all, it seems to have good scale. The fourth-valve low-register notes require a bit of coaxing like all really large-bore tubas (including my Holton).

4. I didn't notice any problems, but I have a tin ear. I suspect that the rotary BBb's are better in tune than the rotary CC's, because the BBb is their bread-and-butter instrument for their home market.

I've never played a Fafner, but reports are glowing.

I have played a Willson 3100, and my main beef with it is its ergonomic arrangement. It makes the sound, though. It does not seem as resonant as the Holton, nor as agile.

If you want a big BBb tuba in the grand orchestral tradition, an old Holton is probably the best choice if you can find a good one. I'd love to try a Gronitz, because that seems a likely alternative. The Willson is in the same camp, but is sort of a cross with kaiser tubas in the German tradition. The big Rudy and the Fafner have a different sound to them, and I suspect playing them is more physical. And just for fun, you should try a Cerveny 601 or 701--that is a kaiser tuba for a budget-minded BBb player. Be prepared to try several.

As to mouthpieces, I play Doug Elliotts, and the one that I'm currently experimenting with on the Holton has a rim like a PT-48 and a cup and backbore more like a Conn Helleberg. The larger T cup mouthpiece that I use on the York Master is too big for the Holton.

Rick "thinking, again, that the 6/4 selection is broader with CC tubas" Denney

Follow Ups: