Re: Re: Rudy Meinl

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on February 03, 2003 at 09:46:55:

In Reply to: Re: Rudy Meinl posted by Barry Guerrero on February 02, 2003 at 19:27:05:

I personally think the Rudolf Meinls of today are better than ever, as they continually try to improve their instruments. I bought my first 3/4 CC in December 1978, and it was a really good instrument. The second 3/4 CC I bought was in 1988, and it was better. The third 3/4 CC that I just bought is perhaps the best of all - these instruments require a break-in of about a year, before they settle-in. This 3/4 Rudi is a little stiff, but that will go away with time.
I owned a 5/4 CC for a number of years, and it had a buttery-soft response and gorgeous sound from day one. I have yet to play a less-than-great 5/4 Rudi CC, or BBb for that matter.
The "CCC" is a misnomer and does not exist in the Rudolf Meinl catalog. There are 4345 piston CC's and 4345 rotor CC's. I played a couple of the first prototype 4345 piston tubas, and one in particular that I played was just so open-feeling, that it was hard to center and control pitches. In subsequent work, they adjusted the tapers and leadpipe, and the recent 4345 piston instruments I've played are amongst the very best piston-valve tubas ever made. The 4345 rotor instrument is, in my opinion, the best all-purpose rotary CC made - by anyone.

The standard 4/4 CC, the model RM1C-45-S, has seemed to be a hit-or-miss proposition in the past. Christian Klein has an older one that is a phenomenal instrument, and Fritz Kaenzig plays the living daylights out of one, but not all of them were nearly that good. The most recent offering is pretty consistent, and is very much like an HB-2 rotor in lacquer, except with better rotors than the HB.

The 4/4 F was traditionally an instrument that played like other typical european rotor F's, in regard to intonation. In the late '80's they built a 5/4 F with computer-designed tapers, and it was a vast improvement. Just two years ago or so, they redesigned both their 4/4 and 5/4 F tubas, resulting in a better 5/4 F and the best overall 4/4 F I've ever played. I like a 4/4 F tuba that has a really good sound, and sweet, even response. The only other 4/4 F I know of that even comes close to this almost euphonium-like quality is the small Walter Hilgers model rotary F from Melton (Mein-Weston). I think the Rudolf Meinl 4/4 F has an advantage in intonation, but they are both fine instruments.

Finally, a lot of the refinements seen on Rudolf Meinl instruments today did not exist in the 1970's, so they are definitely getting better.

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: